Welcome to the leading website for the UK pet trade. If you are a new visitor, please take a moment to register to access our directory and forum. Registration is FREE.
This site is brought to you by the publishers of Pet Business World magazine (or pbwnews as it is known). So don’t delay, sign up today for your FREE monthly copy delivered to your business address by Royal Mail.
To subscribe To advertise Contact us
Sales Agents – North of England
Miro & Makauri
Area Sales Manager
Sales Account Executive/Trade Sales
Merchandiser/In Store Trainer
Pet Technical/Commercial Advisor – The Midlands
De Lacy Executive
Technical Sales Manager – Pet – North of England
De Lacy Executive
Naturediet Pet Foods
Sales Agents Wanted
PJ Pet Products
You couldn't make it up!
First hand experiences from Newshound, our undercover retailer. Share your own retail views and experiences.Newshound
Pick the bones out of that!
An x-ray of Chico the dog appeared to show a ‘spare rib’ – but the abnomality was actually down to the greedy pet swallowing a six-inch cow rib bone whole!
PDSA vets were gobsmacked that Chico, a one-year-old Mastiff-type, had managed to wolf it down without causing himself an injury.
Susie Hermit, senior vet at the charity’s Glasgow Shamrock Street Pet Hospital, said: “I’ve never seen an x-ray like it before, the position of the bone really did look like Chico had an extra rib.
“Amazingly he’d managed to swallow the bone whole but didn’t seem to be in any pain. However, we knew we had to carry out emergency surgery to remove it because it could have caused a life-threatening tear to his stomach or intestines.”
Chico’s owner, Craig Anderson, from Newlands, said he had bought the rib bone as a treat for his beloved pet.
“I thought if I supervised him it would be fine but he literally swallowed it in one mouthful.
“He seemed fine but I knew he wouldn’t be able to digest it properly so I took him straight to PDSA.”
Susie said: “Chico is very lucky. We don’t recommend bones to be given as treats because they can cause digestive tract damage and blockages.”
Bones were the most common items removed from pets’ stomachs by PDSA vets last year, with 59 cases seen. Other strange items swallowed by pets include stones (28 cases) and corn on the cob (29).
Thankfully Chico has gone on to make a full recovery – although bones are now firmly off the menu!
Swim out on a limb
A water-loving pooch rescued a holidaymaker’s false leg.
According to a report in The Mirror, John Dooner was walking his dog Gertie on Freshwater East beach, in Pembrokeshire, when he was approached by a pensioner.
The man told John that his wife’s prosthetic leg had been swept out to sea by a wave and begged for help.
John, a local artist, released wire-haired German pointer Gertie and threw a stone towards the vanishing limb. The dog leapt into the surf and swam to the only thing still floating – the prosthetic leg.
PATS Sandown is the premier event for the pet trade all under one roof, with hundreds of exhibitors and thousands of products. We bring you the latest product news from the show
If you would like to add your business to the directory free of charge or make your entry stand out from the rest, call Philip Raby on 01234 714404 or email us
Win Billy + Margot dog food
FIVE LUCKY retailers have the chance to each win £550 worth of Billy + Margot complete wet food.
Tis’ the season to feed wild birds
Now that the first frosts and snow have landed, chances are that home owners are thinking more about wild birds. These manufacturers have a range of products and good ideas on how to encourage people to feed wild birds, and hopefully convert them to year-round feeders.
Once again the fireworks season has come round, and many pet owners will be looking for solutions to help their cats and dogs cope with the loud noises.
Our guide lists products that are available for retailers to stock that can help owners find a solution.
Pet Business World is flying the flag and celebrating companies that are proud to be based in Britain.Read more