A Southampton pet store is hosting a canine first aid course this weekend to ensure caregivers across the region are prepared should their dog need emergency assistance.
The first aid course, at Healthy Pet Store in Totton, is aimed at both dog owners and canine professionals. It will cover a range of first aid scenarios, including treating injuries, dressing wounds, allergic reactions, stings, poisoning, choking, seizures, CPR, hypothermia, and even snake bites.
It will take place on Sunday, November 13 from 16:15 until 20:45 and will be led by Rachel Bean, who has over 27 years experience as a qualified veterinary nurse.
Healthy Pet Store managing director Deborah Burrows explained being able to react quickly and effectively should a dog need first aid is essential for every dog lover.
She said: “If you look after a dog, there is a duty of care to protect them and keep them safe. To effectively do this, it is crucial to be able to provide basic first aid, just like we would for a human.
“Sometimes it isn’t always possible to visit a vet straight away which is why it is so important to be able to act calmly and effectively in a canine emergency to recognise what first aid is needed.
“This first aid course is a fantastic opportunity and we would love to welcome pet caregivers, walkers, sitters, trainers or anyone who would like to know more about canine first aid. It is open to everyone. We have a limited number of spaces so we are encouraging people to book as soon as they can.”
Tickets can be booked at: