News Dog Saved After Eating Face Mask

Search
Directory

Weird and Wonderful

Dog saved after eating face mask
17th February 2021

By Karen Pickwick

A cocker spaniel from Liverpool nearly died after eating a face mask. One-year-old Ralph needed emergency surgery at vet charity PDSA to remove the mask, which had blocked his intestines.

Owner Julie Veidman knew somethng was wrong when Ralph  couldn’t keep water down and refused his favourite treat.

She took him to Huyton PDSA Pet Hospital where vet Lizzie Whitton performed  emergency surgery for a blocked intestine.

Lizzie said: “Any type of |surgery carries risk and intestinal procedures can come with additional complications, but thankfully Ralph’s operation went very well. However we were all shocked when we removed a face mask from inside him!”

Julie was incredibly relieved to get the call that Ralph was out of surgery. When she heard it was a mask he’d eaten, she said: “We never thought he’d actually eat a face mask. It worries me as you see masks discarded all over the place right now and Ralph is living proof that dogs might eat them and suffer serious consequences.”