News Bursting Fish Tank Saves Shop

Search
Directory

NEWS

Bursting fish tank saves shop
7th January 2021

By Justine Thompson

A ‘catastrophic’ fire at an aquatic shop was prevented when water from a bursting fish tank doused some of the flames.

The fire started at Maidenhead Aquatics in Hawley Garden Centre near Dartford, Kent on New Year’s Eve.

Staff were unaware of the blaze when they returned to work after the Bank Holiday but found the centre covered in soot and residue. It’s believed the fire started because of an electrical fault behind the fish tank.

Garden centre director Jan East told Kent Online a tank had burst, helping to douse the flames.
She said that a couple of fish were lost but was thankful the outcome hadn’t been ‘catastrophic’.