News Are You Ready For Brexit



Are you ready for Brexit?
4th October 2019

By Sandra Pearce

No-one can have missed all the government messages about the changes that are coming with Brexit, and trade organisations like the Pet Food Manufacturers’ Association and the Ornamental Aquatic Trade Association have kept members regularly updated on developments.

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office has in addition advised the pet trade of a number of changes that will affect any travel from the UK to the EU, but this is all dependent on whether the UK leaves with or without a deal.

For instance, if the UK agrees a deal, driving conditions in the EU will remain the same until 2020. If the UK leaves without a deal, all drivers will need a ‘green card’, a GB stick and an International Driving Permit for some countries.

If you are travelling with a pet, the pet passport scheme will no longer be valid and pet owners will have to arrange pet travel with their vet at least four months before the date of travel for new tests and documents.

The European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) card may also not be valid, and so you’ll need to get travel insurance that provides health cover in Europe.

Full details can be found here.