Are Owners Killing Their Pets With Kindness



Are owners killing their pets with kindness?
6th November 2017

By Karen Pickwick

A new survey has revealed that 60% of UK pet owners are feeding their furry friends human foods that are toxic when eaten by dogs and cats.

The research, commissioned by pet food brand Webbox, has found that the cat really does get the cream as nearly a third (29%) of owners are giving their cats’ milk or cream as a treat.

But cats and dogs can often be lactose intolerant, therefore strong dairy products such as cream and milk should be avoided, the company recommends. Pet-friendly alternatives are available.

And fruits such as grapes and raisins, which are commonly fed to pets, can be fatal if consumed in large quantities.

Veterinary surgeon Alison Price said: “Grape and raisin toxicity can cause acute kidney injury and renal failure in dogs and cats. If your pet has ingested even small amounts of grapes or raisins please contact your veterinary surgeon immediately.”


One-and-a-half out of 10 dog owners allow their companions to sip on stimulants such as tea or coffee, which can cause digestive upset.

Jennifer Dean, nutritionist for Webbox, said: “Pets are increasingly treated as members of the family, but this does not mean that they can share the family meals.

“Owners need to be aware that some common human foods are toxic to pets, and even those that are not poisonous can cause harm in terms of providing extra calories that lead to weight gain and obesity.

“Pet food is specially designed to provide all of the nutrients they need, and there are a large variety of pet treats available. So instead of sharing your dinner with your pet, why not give them their dinner at the same time, or give them a healthy treat?”

Webbox have created ‘Purrfect Treat or Barking Mad’, an online quiz that provides pet owners with vet-approved advice on what foods they can give their pets and what foods should always be avoided. To take part, go to