A proper Charlie!

Discussion in 'You couldn't make it up!' started by Newshound, Jan 5, 2016.

1. Newshound

Newshound Member

About four months ago we decided as a family to get a friend for our seven-year-old Staffordshire bull terrier, so into our lives via Staffie Smiles rescue came Charlie, a lively one-year-old male.

Strange now we have Charlie the cat and Charlie the dog, just to confuse the vet! 

Well, the other Sunday Charlie came in from the garden and somehow he had broken in half one of his lower canine teeth. So off to the vet on Tuesday, thinking it would be a simple case of taking out the remainder of the tooth before any infection set in.

Oh no, young dogs can bleed profusely and in a Staffie there is a risk of breaking the lower jaw. Joking, I commented that he should get root canal treatment. I wish I had never spoken! So very shortly we are travelling over 100 miles to a doggie dentist to see if the tooth can be saved.

Thank goodness for pet insurance.

2. Newshound

Newshound Member

Last month I wrote about Charlie, our young Staffordshire bull terrier, breaking a canine tooth and going to the dog dentist. Anyway, we went and he now has the remains of a tooth, made safe and stable by root canal treatment.

Apparently, this is worth doing in a young dog to stop jaw problems in later life. What upset me – apart from the cost! – was the fact that the damage was done by continuous chewing on the metal bars of a cage. We can only guess what happened but for the four or five months between getting his adult teeth and coming to us he must have been locked in a cage day and night, something we do not really want to think about.

I did show the x-ray and tooth photographs to our human dentist and he was quite interested. He also commented that dog dentists charge about five times more than human
    dentists.

3. Newshound

Newshound Member

Charlie’s teeth – the final installment…I hope

Well, Charlie had to go back to the dog dentist because his tooth would not stop bleeding, so the filling could not go ahead.

This can happen in a young dog as the pulp is more substantial; it shrinks to very little in older dogs. What the dentist had to do was fill the cavity with a substance that is PH11 and this kills off everything. This second procedure needs to take place about two to three weeks after the initial procedure, the trouble being that due to roadworks our two-hour journey would now take four hours. So I cancelled the appointment until the roadworks were fixed.

Wrong, according to the vet you cannot leave the procedure half done for what could be eight to 10 weeks.

So at the worst possible time of the year, we left the house at 4.45am and arrived at the vet at 8.45. A three-hour wait, then the reverse journey.