Staffie Gets Some Stick

Search
Directory

Weird and Wonderful

Staffie gets some stick
7th October 2017

By Lloyd Lugsden



A vet came to the rescue of a dog that had swallowed a kebab skewer.

Rachel Dean, of Lymm Veterinary Surgery, in Cheshire, had to act quickly when she discovered Patch was in trouble. After a full examination, she realised the six-inch wooden stick had made its way almost entirely through the dogs digestive system, getting stuck just towards the end.

Rachel said: “I’ve been a vet for 20 years and never seen anything quite like this case before.
“When I examined Patch I found something slightly embedded in the wall of her back passage. It was thin and sharp and at first I thought it might be a stick or sharp piece of spare rib-bone that she’d picked up and swallowed.
“After x-raying her, I discovered it was actually a kebab skewer that was the problem and I gently manipulated it out of her. If I hadn’t been able to get it out that way she could have needed surgery.”